Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Twelve-Time Winner

Was it my two black eyes
that convinced the judges,
or my infected tattoo?
The symbol of a band called We Can't Lose
who broke up at their very first show.

Caught by the cops
wearing only a t-shirt,
beating up my daughter's boyfriend.

That's when I knew
for one more year
I'd be a winner again.

Chorus:

Maybe this could be your year.
Things have really been going your way.
Crack cocaine and lortabs,
and a skirt you shouldn't wear at your age.

Your daughter's picture on the cover
with the caption Just Busted.
By all rights, you oughtta win.

But I'm a twelve-time winner.
Odds are that this year
I'll be a winner again.


Was it the smashed car windshield
the brought home the trophy?
Was it my broken fist?
The father of my children beat the father of my children
in the parking lot after church.

High on quaaludes,
I drove home sideways,
then started peeling off my skin.

That's when I knew
for one more year
I'd be a winner again.

No comments: